Thursday, August 18, 2011

10 things in my life right now....

1. Listening

For the last 2 weeks I have had Cell Block Tango from the musical Chicago running through my head. Why, you might ask?  Well, thats because on Saturday night I will be performing the part of Liz (she's the "pop" girl) in front of 200 people who are paying to watch me strut my fish-netted thighs across the stage whilst singing and gyrating around on a chair.  Keeping in mind that I am a 39 year old, festively plump, mother of 4, how did I ever get myself into this situation?  Its all part and parcel of being a member of the fabulous show choir, the Sunbury Divas.  Being a Diva is a huge buzz, continually pushes my comfort levels and has increased my self confidence by leaps and bounds.  Wish me luck for Saturday!

2. Eating

On Sunday morning, the Rock God "suggested" maybe I should start dieting as I am putting on a little winter weight.  How thoughtful of him.  I followed this with why don't you just shut the f*** up steely glares and replied "well maybe you should stop smoking".  No further comments.  On Monday night, the Rock God decided to make his famous Triple Choc Malteser Cake with Cadbury Dairy Milk Chocolate icing.  How this is supposed to encourage dieting, I do not know.  On a side note, it was delicious.

3. Drinking

The coffee addiction is still in full swing however I have been making a concerted effort to drink more water, as per my earlier post with the '8 Glasses a Day' checklist.  I find it helps if I drink it in my gorgeous crystal glass with a splash of Bickfords Diet Lime Cordial.  How very English Country House of me!

4. Wearing

If you haven't read my blog before, I have been doing a "30 for 30" Fashion Challenge.  Basically, I've picked 30 items from my wardrobe and have to create 30 different outfits over 30 days.  Its Day 11 and I've been having so much fun with it.  I am amazed at how many different combinations I've been able to come up with!  My favourite outfit thus far has been Day 2 - Urban Polo Chic.


5. Reading

Last week I read Sebastian Faulks' novel 'Birdsong' in two sittings - one of which was a leisurely 3 hour soak in the bath.  The book is primarily set between 1910 and the end of World War I (my favourite subject) and I did enjoy it.  Many reviewers have likened it to Erich Maria Remarque's classic 'All Quiet on the Western Front' which I reviewed in my last 10 things post, but I don't think it was quite as good.  There are some later parts set in the 1970's which I thought detracted from the story overall and could have been left out altogether.  I read a lot of WWI books so the squeamish parts don't bother me (they can be quite intense and frankly horrific in parts) - I think I was more disturbed by the 'love making' scenes at the beginning of the book.  I don't know why I get uncomfortable reading sex scenes as I am not prudish in real life, I just don't like reading about it (all those terrible swollen member references, I mean who says that in real life??) I can honestly say I would make a terrible romance writer!


6. Weather

Mother Nature is being extremely fickle at the moment.  I suspect she is deliberately trying to irritate me by throwing in an absolutely gorgeous day - whereupon I start to think that finally winter is behind us - and then follows it up with 4 days of cold grey skies and rain.  I don't know why I expect anything different considering she waits until exactly 3.30pm  at school pick up time to start raining. Biatch!  However, she did grace us with lovely weather on Sunday morning when I was knee deep in a paddock planting trees with the boy's Scout group.  It got so warm out there while I was wielding my pick axe and trying not to lop the heads off other people's children that I had to divest of my coat and cardigan....and if you want to know what someone who is doing the "30 for 30" fashion challenge actually wears to a tree planting event, you can find out here.


7. Wanting

It's a very selfish want this week.  I could be wanting world peace and an end to the starvation in Africa and I really DO want both those things but the first thought that came to my mind was this gorgeous French style oak dining table with black cabriole legs that I saw at Early Settler.  I know....its shallow of me.  I'm only torturing myself anyway as it is $999 (chairs not included) which I cannot justify spending on a table which will end up defaced within approximately 3 months.  I realise it would be a complete waste of time until the boys are at least 18 and no longer living at home :)  Next fortnight I will try to want for something more worthy *sigh*


8. Feeling

I've been feeling a little overwhelmed with all the things happening in my life at the moment.  Yesterday I took an unpaid day off work just to give myself some time to get my laundry into some order of semblance take stock.  I feel as if there are constant demands on my time and attention - well, hello, its called motherhood!  Only its not just motherhood, its having to work 30 hours a week to keep our heads above water; its having the demands of being available for friends at any given time of the day, afternoon or night; its putting in the hours for extra rehearsals with the choir because you've made a commitment and people are relying on you.  In the end something has got to give and I've had to make some hard decisions. I've had to disappoint people who are close to me and I don't feel good about it.  But I didn't feel good about feeling overwhelmed either.
Illustration by Jen Corace


9. Thinking

I'm thinking that I need to do something about my fitness level (co-incidentally this has nothing to do with the conversacione in No. 2 Eating).  I've been thinking about it a little since watching the Australian version of Amazing Race.  The Rock God and I watch it religiously and would often joke about entering it together - oh my goodness, we'd kill each other on the first map reading task - but its pretty obvious to me that if it came to any kind of last minute dash to the checkpoint I would probably collapse 10 metres from the car, sprawled out in the dust with my backpack on top of me like some kind of pathetic Amazing Race roadkill.  I know this because last year I had to make a last minute dash to catch a standby flight to Las Vegas and running through 30 gates at Melbourne Airport (while wearing a very attractive travelling outfit I might add) just about killed me!  Something needs to be done, so stay tuned.

10. Enjoying

I am really enjoying spending time with my boys.  As they get a little older (they are now 3, 4, 6 and 7) and Im only having to wipe one bum out of four its just getting that much easier and that much more enjoyable.  I love their individual characters, I love how they interact as brothers, I love their funny conversations.  I love doing things with them, I love taking them places and teaching them new things.  I love our cuddles on the lounge, I love our goodnight kisses, I love sorting out their little piles of undies.  I have been so blessed and some days I forget how blessed I have been. I never imagined that I would be a mother (my eldest was born when I was nearly 32) and never in my wildest dreams did I imagine I would have four boys.  In some past life I must have been very, very good!

So, what things are going on in your life right now?  

6 comments:

  1. OMG I LOVE CHICAGO!!! You so have to post a video!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. its going to be put on a DVD so I will watch it first, very carefully, before deciding on whether its fit to be seen by anyone else hahahaha. The closer it gets, the more I am CRAPPING myself!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment.. My boys really like the owls, and a majority of my sales are actually for boys! I think its a great not so girly animal.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely post! Good luck with Chicago and being the "pop" girl!! You will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh thank you Daisy xxx Had rehearsals tonight and my hips are actually hurting from shaking them around so much....no wonder pole dancers are skinny hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  6. Crossing my fingers for you on Saturday night! Break a leg! I love these posts. So interesting but too much to comment on. I hope you are feeling better soon. You have done the right thing to reduce your sense of being overwhelmed. Your boys are divine! Love the stripey shirts. So many scrummy brothers. x

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate you taking the time xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...