Wednesday, November 2, 2011

5 Sentence Fiction: Horror

I'm joining 5 Sentence Fiction with Lillie McFerrin Writes today.

What it’s all about: Five Sentence Fiction is about packing a powerful punch in a tiny fist. Each week I will post a one word inspiration, then anyone wishing to participate will write a five sentence story based on the inspiration word. The word does not have to appear in your five sentences, just take your inspiration from that word. 

This week’s inspiration word is: HORROR


He ran and ran, ducking and weaving, bent over double with the weight of the gear on his back, the blood banging in his head and his breath coming in short, gasping pants. All around him were explosions and bursts of gunfire and twisting bits of metal tearing through the air. Then out of the mist he saw the wire looming ahead and panicking, he darted left and right to find a gap but there was none, and then his coat got caught on a razor’s edge and the more he tried to pull himself free, the more he got tangled. A machine gun opened up and he felt his body thud and jerk below him, then everything felt warm and wet. He looked down to see his intestines hanging from his body and knew he would die here, hanging on the wire, and the horror of it was too much to bear.

4 comments:

  1. You've done well here. It reminds me a little of Snowden's 'secret' in Catch-22 which has been stuck in my head every time I read something like this! Horror indeed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Greg, horror is not normally my genre but war is :) I haven't read Catch-22 so must keep a look out for it to add to my collection.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still haven't found time to join in with this!

    War may be you're genre but in this you have captured the real horror of it perfectly.

    Btw - I have passed the Versatile Blogger Award on to you :)
    http://peopledonteatenoughfudge.blogspot.com/2011/11/versatile-blogger.html

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job Eloise! Captivating writing showcasing the horror of war.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting, I appreciate you taking the time xxx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...